Thursday, January 27, 2011

The Slave Hunter

Slave Hunter: One Man's Global Quest to Free Victims of Human TraffickingSlave Hunter: One Man's Global Quest to Free Victims of Human Trafficking by Aaron Cohen
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

My church hosted an evening with Aaron Cohen last week.  I was so excited to go to his presentation and was blown away by how many people were there.  It turned out that Mr. Cohen was in town to train local FBI and Police Task Forces in how to free victims of child trafficking and exploitation.  Local law enforcement, special interest groups, a prominent politician, concerned citizens and many from my church family attended and were encouraged to demand from our state representatives that more laws be passed in order to facilitate the abolishment of this horrific and evil trafficking of human beings that is quickly becoming more profitable than running drugs or selling guns.

Mr. Cohen gave an intriguing lecture about the history of slavery, the call for a Jubilee, and how he became the Slave Hunter.  I walked away from the evening with a signed copy of his book that I could not wait to read, a new awareness for the estimated thousands of trafficked human beings in MY city, and a broken prayerful heart that our country will follow Aaron Cohen's example of setting the captive free.

This book riveted me, convicted me, and educated me.  I have so many favorite passages of this book, but have decided not to share them.  I really want you to discover this book for yourself.  The Slave Hunter has shared his journey so honestly, eloquently and faithfully that I cannot help but fall on my knees to help cover his life and mission in prayer.

I will end by sharing one of my favorite quotes that has become such an inspiration since God placed in me a heart for missions:

“I am only one,
but still I am one.
I cannot do everything,
but still I can do something;
and because I cannot do everything,
I will not refuse to do something that I can do.”
                       - Helen Keller





View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment